Monday, September 24, 2007

B is for Body

First, the growing into motherhood slowly swamps the mind. Chemicals, hormones, awash with the hymn. Studies have shown that parenthood changes the brain's structure, in this case making the auditory areas more sensitive, particulary to distress calls. but how or do the chemical changes impact writing? Do they impact aesthetic sensibility, for example? Do the chemical changes impact the language centers at all?

Then there's the mother's lived experience of the body--the mind's curiosities overwhelmed by the body's necessities--the cravings, the aches, the rippingsaparts, which no doubt impacts perspective and perhaps subject matter. Then the newborn's body and its necessities--don't sleep, feed me, hold me, play with me--overwhelm the mother's mind and body. Talk about the decentered lyric 'I'!

All of which i'd like to think abouto9lkihu7yjhu70o.;, except for the 0complaining infant on my lap, here she goes:
'~~
9i
fdfjj

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry to have to graffiti on your blog like this, but there was no other way to contact you. This is Jonathan. I have been renting your house in Syracuse with another graduate student. We met briefly in August 2006 before you left the country. Our lease ended on August 31, 2007 and you and your husband have decided to sell the property. Your property manager, Highlander, has refused to give our security deposit back to us. It is a SIGNIFICANT amount of money and we have already initiated legal action against the company. No damage whatsoever was done to the house and we were exceptional tenants. I bent over backwards to pay the rent on time and to keep the house in clean condition. Since you are still the homeowner, I have no other option but to confront you directly and ask you to ask Highlander to give us our money back. Currently, Highlander will not return my phone calls or e-mail messages. Please, do the right thing. We do not deserve to be treated this way. Again, I am sorry to have to contact you in this manner. You may reach me at jpsaine@syr.edu.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Susan Denning said...

Hi Heidi,

This comment has nothing to do with property!

I just wanted to say I like your new book and I'd love to see poems by you in Caffeine Destiny. So check out www.caffeinedestiny.com and contact me if you'd like to submit work!

Thanks, Susan

7:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Heidi
This has nothing
to do with Property either
although I can sympathise
with your tenant's frustration.

I just wanted to say how much
I enjoyed your sonnet,"In my dream..." pomme de jour, courtesy
of those kind folk at Poetry Daily.
::::
My wife came home
from child bed convinced
she was the Virgin Mary and to two years
of dark madness. Eventually she
recovered and our baby boy
is now a fine broth of a man
but everything is relative
on the scale of post puerperal
change.
::::
Isn't McGahern a master of cadence?

Euan

(alba)

9:17 AM  
Blogger Heidi Lynn Staples said...

susan--what a wonderful invitation! i'd love to send something to caffiene destiny for your consideration. thanks for thinking of me. i'll send poems in the next few weeks! all best, heidi

2:58 PM  
Blogger Heidi Lynn Staples said...

eaun, you're so kind! many thanks for your comments. and glad to hear your wife came round. motherhood immerses. it's deep!

mcgahern is a lovely writer. his cadences stay with you, like having lived by a rippling brook.

you're in ireland, yah? where are you located?

3:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi
Ta for your ta. Alba(the celts next door)& then some, to Orkney.

1:17 AM  
Anonymous Andrew Garfield GIFS said...

Veery creative post

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home